Official Publication of the Philippine Information Agency Bicol Regional Office, in cooperation with the RIAC-REDIRAS - RDC Bicol

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Intensified drug campaign cuts down Legazpi City index crime by 57%

By Sally Atento-Altea

LEGAZPI CITY, Sept. 12 (PIA) – The intensified campaign of President Rodrigo Duterte against crimes and illegal drugs has greatly helped reduce the number of index crime in Legazpi City, according to the newly installed city police chief here.

 “The number of index crime recorded from April to August 2016 shows a significant decrease of 57% from that of the total index crime recorded in 2015. This can be attributed to the intensified campaign of our President and the hard work of our policemen in fighting crimes and   illegal drugs, “Philippine National Police Legazpi Chief Insp. Errol Garchitorena reported.

Garchitorena made the report for period April to August 2016 during the joint meeting of the City Peace and order Council (CPOC) and City Anti-Drug Abuse Council (CADAC) presided by Mayor Noel Rosal Tuesday this week.

Table 1: Comparative Data on Non-Index Crime in Legazpi City for period April - August  2015 and 2016

A total of ninety-six (96) index crime were recorded from April – August 2016. This data is one hundred twenty-six (126) or 57% lower than the two hundred twenty-two (222) index crime recorded in the same period of 2015.

 “Out of the ninety-six (96) index crime recorded from April to August 2016, 35 cases or 36% are theft incidents, making it the most committed index crime for the period,” Garchitorena said.

 Robbery and physical injury ranked second with 19 cases each accounting to 40% combined, followed by 13 cases of rape or almost 14% of the total index crime. Carnapping accounts to almost 4% of the total index crime with four cases recorded while murder and homicide both has three (3) cases or 6% combined.

Project Double Barrel

For the implementation of Project Double Barrel, Garchitorena reported a total of 2,381 voluntary drug surrenderees since July 1, 2016, of which 2,135 or 90% are users and 244 are pushers.

 “For the users, 201 or 9% are watchlisted and 1,934 or 91% are newly identified while for pushers, 54 or 22% are watchlisted while the remaining 190 or 78% are newly identified,” he said.

Table 2: Number of
Drug Surrenderees in Legazpi City from July 1 to September 5, 2016

Garchitorena bared that also among the surrenderees are elected officials and barangay tanods.

Out of 834 target houses to be visited for Operation Tokhang, 504 were already visited from July 1 – September 5, of which 296 or 35% surrendered, 84 or 10% arrested and are now on jail and 1 killed.

 Among the top drug personalities arrested are Brgy Rizal councilor Ronnie Abunda Ventura considered as high value target, Jury Tupase Nares of Guinobatan who ranked 2nd in Guinobatan police watchlist, and Christian Bahoy Barcelon of Victory Village and Rodolfo Bahoy ranked 10th in Legazpi police priotiy target.

Non-Index Crime

 However, non-index crime increased by 14% with 993 cases recorded for the period April to August 2016 compared to 870 cases recorded for the same period in 2015, with traffic and vehicular accidents mainly contributing to the increase.

Garchitorena said the city police recorded 504 traffic and vehicular accidents in 2015 which rose by 15% or 77 cases this year noting that this will be addressed through increased checkpoints and intensified flag down of violations.

Furthermore, crime solution efficiency raised to 32% wherein 351 cases were considered solved out of 1,089 crime volume recorded. Crime Clearance Efficiency for the period is likewise higher at   93% having cleared 1015 cases out of the total crime volume recorded.(MAL/SAA-PIA5/Albay)

- See more at: http://news.pia.gov.ph/article/view/2571473322642/intensified-drug-campaign-cuts-down-legazpi-city-index-crime-by-57-#sthash.UE6gSU4x.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment