Official Publication of the Philippine Information Agency Bicol Regional Office, in cooperation with the RIAC-REDIRAS - RDC Bicol

Friday, June 24, 2016

DSWD presents list of poor households, individuals in Bicol

LEGAZPI CITY, June 24 (PIA) –The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) presented some 369, 395 poor households in the Bicol region at the launching of Listahanan database yesterday at Hotel St. Ellis here.

DSWD Bicol Regional Director Arnel B. Garcia said the second round of assessment covered all rural and urban areas in the six provinces, 107 municipalities, seven cities and 3,471 barangays of the region.

“Information available in the Listahanan database includes other information such as access to safe water and electricity, quality of housing materials, tenure status of the family’s house and lot and their specific occupation, etc.”, said Garcia.

It can be recalled that early last year, the DSWD’s information management system called Listahanan conducted house-to-house interviews to get the socio-economic information of the households. Information gathered is then subjected to the Proxy Means Test (PMT), a statistical tool that approximates household’s income using the proxy variables indicated in the Family Assessment Form used by the Listahanan field staff in conducting interviews.

Garcia said Listahanan shares the available database to stakeholders at no cost. Information such as statistics and magnitude can be obtained through data request.

“However, the list of poor families with names and household members shall be shared only upon execution of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between DSWD and the data user,” he added.

The province of Camarines Sur has the highest number of poor households with 126,476 or 34% of the total identified poor followed by Masbate with 77,227 or 20% and Albay with 69, 681 or 18.8 %.

Sorsogon comes next with 48,555 or 13%, Camarines Norte with 32,190 or 8.7% and Catanduanes with 15, 266 or 4.1%.

Some 84% or 310, 706 of the poor households are found in rural areas while the remaining 16% are in urban areas.

Regionwide, there are 2,340,468 poor individuals of which 1,122,485 are women and 1,217,982 are men.

Some 55% or 1,294,840 of these poor individuals are children while 87,928 are senior citizens and some 29,346 are persons with disabilities (PWDs).

Furthermore 624,221 or 51% poor individuals are unemployed with 215,932 or 17.7% are earning their living as farmers, fisher folks and foresters.(MAL/SAA-PIA5/Albay)

- See more at: http://news.pia.gov.ph/article/view/2571466664695/dswd-presents-list-of-poor-households-individuals-in-bicol#sthash.769avGUG.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment